Nine people still missing after unidentified militants kill 13 of 22 abducted passengers.
Gunmen in Balochistan abducted 22 bus passengers late on Monday, killing 13 and dumping their bodies near Quetta, according to local officials.
Muhamad Kashif, the senior administrator in Mach, said 13 bullet-ridden bodies had been found this morning. “The 13 bodies were found in the Gashtor area of Bolan district,” he told Newsweek. “They have been shifted to Civil Hospital Mach.”
Officials said that unidentified gunmen intercepted a passenger bus bound for Sadiqabad from Quetta, and abducted 22 passengers off the vehicle after checking their national identity cards. “The people on the bus were all returning to their homes in Punjab to celebrate Eid,” Kashif said, adding that the bodies had not yet been identified. Nine abductees are still unaccounted for and no one had claimed responsibility for the attack yet.
“All 13 victims were shot in the head and chest,” hospital sources told Newsweek.
Balochistan is home to a separatist insurgency in which rebels often attack people of neighboring Punjab province in retaliation for perceived injustices against the Baloch.